Sep 27, 2011

Funk legend Sly Stone living in a van

Funk legend Sly Stone living in a van
Sadly, Sly Stone, one of the fathers of funk music, is now homeless and living out of a van in Los Angeles, the New York Post reports.

The man behind Sly and the Family Stone calls a white van home these days. The 68-year-old’s fortune ran out thanks to financial mismanagement, substance abuse and a lavish lifestyle, he tells the paper.

The singer has accused his manager, Jerry Goldstein, of stealing his royalty payments, and sued him for fraud last year.


In 2009, Stone was forced to move into a van, and while he says he doesn’t “want to return to a fixed home,” he does want to make money and put his financial nightmare behind him.

“But now please tell everybody, please, to give me a job, play my music,” he says in the interview. “I’m tired of all this s--, man.”

Sly released an album of hits rerecorded with other artists earlier this year, and notes that he has new songs ready for release. “But, with new energy, it will feel good to step on stage,” he says.

“I see all the guys playing those old songs," he continues. "Let these guys know, like Lady Gaga, let me come in, just let me come in and pay me if you like it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment